Trace minerals are required by animals in small amounts, usually only milligrams per day. The most common trace minerals include zinc, copper, cobalt, manganese, iron, iodine and selenium. The organic trace mineral complexes used in all premium Nutrena® horse feeds, including SafeChoice® and ProForce® are absorbed into the body better than conventional trace minerals because they are chelated, meaning they are bound one-to-one with an amino acid. Better absorption means an optimal quantity is formulated into the feeds, reducing the amount of wasted minerals.
A diet fully fortified with organic trace minerals provides the following benefits for horses:
- Improved hair coat, skin and hoof quality/hoof wall integrity
- Formation, maintenance and repair of joint cartilage
- Proper muscle and bone development
- Increased immune response to help remove free radicals and protect cell membranes
- Proper fertility function including milk production and fetal development
Deficiency can result in immune depression, reproductive failure and poor hair coat. Often, outward signs of deficiency are not observed. Organic trace minerals help give your horse a lifetime of improved performance, safety and nutrition from every feeding.